Rema achieved a significant milestone by becoming the inaugural Afrobeats artist to secure a victory at the esteemed MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs). The prestigious awards ceremony took place at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey, and Rema was in attendance to witness this remarkable achievement. The recognition came for his collaboration with Selena Gomez on the chart-topping track ‘Calm Down Remix,’ which was awarded the title of Best Afrobeats Song at the MTV VMAs.
This momentous win has etched Rema’s name in history as the first Afrobeats artist to receive a VMAs accolade. Notably, this year marked the introduction of the Best Afrobeats Song category to the VMAs, adding to the significance of Rema’s achievement.
- Ayra Starr – “Rush” – Mavin Global Holdings
- Burna Boy – “It’s Plenty” – Atlantic Records / Spaceship Entertainment Ltd
- Davido ft. Musa Keys – “UNAVAILABLE” – Sony Music U.K. / RCA Records
- Fireboy DML & Asake – ”Bandana” – Empire Distribution
- Libianca – “People” – Sony Music U.K. / RCA Records
- Winner: Rema & Selena Gomez – “Calm Down” – Mavin Global Holdings Ltd / Jonzing World Entertainment / SMG Music / Interscope Records
- Wizkid ft Ayra Starr– “2 Sugar” – Starboy / RCA Records
Rema’s excitement was palpable as he took the stage alongside Selena Gomez to claim their award. During his heartfelt acceptance speech, he shared, “It’s a momentous occasion to see Africa so well-represented here tonight. Afrobeats has grown immensely, and being on this stage as its ambassador means the world to me.”
In a gracious gesture, Rema took the time to express his gratitude to the pioneers of Afrobeats, acknowledging their invaluable contributions. He remarked, “I am truly elated, but I cannot forget to give a shoutout to the trailblazers who paved the way for artists like me.”
In a video clip shared below, he continued, “A big shoutout to legends like Fela, the visionary behind the inception of Afrobeats, as well as 2Baba, Don Jazzy, D’banj, D’Prince, Runtown, Timaya, 2Face, Wizkid, Burna Boy, and Davido, who have all played pivotal roles in shaping the genre.”
View this post on Instagram