Trump and Putin Set for Talks as Ceasefire Negotiations Stall
U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin are expected to hold discussions this week, officials confirmed on Sunday. The talks come amid efforts by Washington and European allies to push Moscow toward accepting a ceasefire in the ongoing conflict.
The U.S. recently proposed a ceasefire following negotiations in Saudi Arabia, a proposal Ukraine has agreed to. However, Putin has yet to commit, instead outlining a series of conditions and raising concerns about the plan.
Hope for a Breakthrough?
Trump’s envoy for the conflict, Steve Witkoff, who recently met with Putin, expressed optimism. Speaking to CNN, he said, “The two presidents are set for a positive and productive discussion this week.”
Meanwhile, the Kremlin confirmed that U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov. Their conversation focused on follow-ups from last month’s U.S.-Russia summit in Saudi Arabia.
Zelensky Calls Out Moscow’s Delay
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky accused Moscow of stalling, stating that Russia is looking to strengthen its position on the battlefield before considering any ceasefire agreement.
The February summit in Riyadh marked the first high-level engagement between the U.S. and Russia since the conflict escalated in 2022.
While Russia acknowledged the Lavrov-Rubio discussion, its statement made no mention of the ceasefire. U.S. State Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce, however, confirmed that both diplomats discussed “next steps” and the importance of restoring communication between the two nations.

Pressure from the West
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, during a virtual summit on Ukraine, accused Putin of delaying peace efforts. “Russia’s ‘yes, but’ approach is not acceptable,” Starmer said, calling for an immediate end to the attacks on Ukraine.
On the ground, tensions remain high. Ukraine reported that Russia launched 90 drones across nine regions, with one strike in Izyum resulting in a fatality.
Putin’s Response
Putin argued that the ceasefire proposal favors Ukraine more than Russian forces, who he claims are making gains on the battlefield. He has also expressed interest in discussing the situation directly with Trump.
Zelensky, however, accused Putin of making excuses to prolong the conflict. “He’s lying about how complicated a ceasefire would be,” the Ukrainian leader stated.
With both sides holding firm, the upcoming conversation between Trump and Putin could play a crucial role in determining the next phase of the war.

